Enhancing use of fish as part of a healthy diet
The republic of Ghana is a country on the coast of Western Africa. The Greater Accra Region of Ghana is the country’s primer area. The region covers an area of 3,245 km2 from which about 90.5% of the region is urban and 9.5% rural. Food production, including fisheries, takes place in all segments of the region.
Fish is the main source of animal protein in the diet of Ghanaian communities, yet fish production is insufficient and lacks proper technical advancements like cold storage systems. Deficiency of diversity to meet nutritious food requirements of diverse populations in fish products is also a constant issue. Also, the current global challenges such as climate change are endangering the area´s food security, and low awareness and lack of knowledge on safe practices challenges the production systems. Moreover, weak governance of local actors in value chains and poor enforcement of policies and regulations presents added difficulties.
Food System Lab Accra focuses on promoting food safety and efficiency in food production to provide healthy protein rich foods to improve local diets. The region’s challenges provide several opportunities to be tackled with Food System Lab activities. The outputs will have an effect on over 4000 community members.
Other Food System Labs
- To improve dietary patterns based on available food materials
- To promote sustainable small-scale and homestead fish production
- To develop novel and diverse technologies and fish products
- To innovate and deepen effective collaboration in local value chains
- Develop and introduce novel and more efficient technologies (including packaging) to extend shelf life of fresh and processed fish
- Develop new fish products and recipes to diversify available fish food
- Organize several workshops and trainings to small-scale value chain actors across project communities and organize a fish fair to introduce improved technologies and services
- Develop free easy-to-use mobile application for business opportunities and improved dietary information
- Establish homestead aquaculture farms, develop new fish species and enhance efficiency in small-scale fish feed production
- Organize summer schools for vocational and fisheries students on new aquaculture fish and technologies
Our news and blog
March 31st, 2023 | Blogs
December 8th, 2022 | Blogs
November 11th, 2022 | Blogs
January 5th, 2022 | Blogs
April 15th, 2021 | Blogs